Monday, May 7, 2007

Code Words


Here at CB HQ, there are a few words that make our ears perk up like Pavlov's dogs at the sound of a bell. Those words are simple: nanites, Singularity, and anti-matter.
New information discovered by our world's intrepid scientists points to the fact that the BEST. SUPERNOVA. EVAR. was the result of anti-matter. They think this because the explosion showed so much more energy than the star held itself. To me, this smacks of "OMG! We can't see what caused this, it must have been. *gasp* ANTI-MATTER!". But, hey, they are the scientists, I'm just the dude that makes fun of them.


With 100 times the energy of a typical supernova explosion, SN 2006gy was simply too energetic to be explained by the explosion of a lightweight object like a white dwarf star, even if it were to collide with the core of a red giant, says team member Craig Wheeler of the University of Texas in Austin, US.

"That kind of explanation could not produce the energy we're seeing," he told New Scientist.

I don't mean to sound as skeptical as I do above, but as much as I love anti-matter, until I see it, I'm going to be skeptical. (Yes, I realize that you can't SEE anti-matter, but you get my point.)
(via New Scientist) Did antimatter 'factory' spark brightest supernova?

No comments: